If you want fun things to do in Temecula with your friends or family, mini-golf is still one of the great all-around choices. A perennial favorite for generations, it is a nearly perfect game because it’s easy to learn, but hard to master – and always encourages healthy competition among the players.
Never mini-golfed before? It’s much like regular golf, but there are some twists. Here’s everything you need to know for a great mini-golf experience!
Basic Rules of Mini Golf
As with all golf games, the basic goal is to start at the tee-off area, and hit the ball with a golf club until it goes into a small hole at the other end. Mini-golf courses are full of creative traps and hazards, to challenge your putting prowess!
The basic rules of mini golf are:
- Shots are done in rounds, where each player shoots once in order. A single player will never take two shots in a row until everyone else has had their turn.
- After the first shot, turn order is determined by who’s closest to the hole, with the last player in a round being the furthest away.
- The standard mini-golf group is up to four players. More than that, and there are too many balls on the field. If you have more than 4 people in your party, they can play on their own card.
- Each hole has a six-shot limit. If you fail to sink the ball, you must simply move on.
- If a ball goes off course, such as into water, it incurs a one-stroke penalty, and the ball is replaced on the field at the nearest point to where it went out-of-bounds. In other words, if a player’s first shot goes OOB, then their next attempt will be considered their third shot because of the +1 shot penalty.
- Scoring is based on the number of strokes/shots. At the end of the course, the player with the lowest number of strokes wins!
Tips For Mini-Golf Success
- Study the course
Each course has its own obstacles, but a well-designed course still has a ‘perfect’ path that leads to a hole-in-one. Study the hole and aim for a perfect shot!
- Have a sense of timing
One of the most distinctive features of this game is the presence of moving obstacles on the course, like the famous windmill holes. Good timing is necessary to get past these obstacles!
- Be decisive
Mini golf requires precision, but you must be swift and decisive in your strokes. A timid player’s ball could go anywhere. Be confident in every shot.
Mini golf is frequently silly and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. If your ball goes wild, just laugh it off and take a Mulligan! You’re here to have fun, after all.
When it comes to fun things to do in Temecula, you can’t beat Mulligan Family Fun Center and our two excellent 18-hole mini-golf courses located in Murrieta. Click here to start planning your next visit!